Sunday, July 15 we celebrated my dad’s birthday. What with it being the rainy season here in Florida during summer, we’ve had quite a waterfall of rain pour down from the sky. Thankfully, after seeing a bit of a clearing occur it was time to head off to the beach before it became too dark and started raining bullets again. Sadly the rest of the family didn’t want to go or couldn’t go, but no matter. Though it was just my dad and myself, we had a lot of fun and a great time looking at all the neat things that were in the oceans water. The ocean is always such a wonderful place, but whenever heading to the beach sunscreen is a MUST HAVE! What with having such pale skin I’m not taking any chances, especially since once I step into the sunlight, sadly, I burn and turn red like a lobster.
Thankfully that didn’t happen (
this time). And so, after two full hours at the beach it was time to head back home and bake some delicious Lemon-Raspberry Cupcakes. ^,.,^
A perfect birthday sweet with a combination of the tart/acidic taste of fresh lemon juice and lemon zest and raspberry jam or fresh raspberry with a surprise inside. Put your aprons on and grab that sibling or little child and bring them in for a quick bite. Well, not literally.. that can be later. Remember, blood meals come right after a healthy fruit! Let’s get started.
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar or 1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar and 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar (either way is still perfect)
- 4 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups self-rising flour (no substitutions for this)
- 1/4 buttermilk (if non you can simply substitute a 1/4 of milk and 1 tbsp of lemon juice, mix and let stand for 10 minutes)
- 4 tbsp fresh lemon juice, divided
- 12 tsp plus 1 tbsp seedless raspberry jam
- fresh raspberry (for garnish or for surprise center)
– Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners (it’s a must need for these gorgeous cupcakes). In a large mixing bowl, cream butter, 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar (or granulated sugar) and 3 teaspoons lemon peel until blended, the beat until fluffy and pale yellow. Add eggs one at a time, beating to a blend after each addition. Beat in half of flour. Add buttermilk and 2 tablespoons lemon juice; beat to blend and beat in remaining flour.
– Drop one tablespoonful batter into each muffin liner. Spoon 1 teaspoon of raspberry jam and fresh raspberries into the batter-filled liners. Cover with remaining batter, dividing equally. Repeat if there is any remaining batter. (For me it yield at 16)
– Bake cupcakes for 23 minutes until golden on top or when toothpick/bamboo stick comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in pan on rack. Meanwhile, whisk remaining 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar (for icing you need powdered sugar), 2 tablespoons lemon juice, and 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon peel in small bowl. Sppon half of lemon icing over 6 cupcakes. Whisk 1 tablespoon rasperry jam into remaining icing. Spoon over remaining cupcakes. Let stand until icing sets, about 30 minutes. Garnish with fresh raspberries.
Hope you enjoy them! ^,.,^
Tons of Love Bites,