So, it’s now been more than 3 months that there has been the same ole’ same ole’ for dessert. And as always, me being the eldest, it’s a rush to the starting line of trying to get a little goody to munch on happily before the siblings get to it. But always no luck. So I decided on putting my culinary skills to good use and opening the fridge to see fresh strawberries; automatically hits the “create” button. I’ll make a twist on an old favorite: Strawberry Shortcake. Only everything is homemade, nice and fresh. If only I could plant those lucious strawberries in my own yard. Now that’d be great!
My twist- Homemade Strawberry Shortcake tarts!
- 1 1/3 cup flour (along with a small bowl of flour for later)
- 3 tblsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt (or a pinch)
- 3 tblsp water
- 1 stick butter, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F/ 200 degrees C.
- Rub flour and butter together with fingertips, yes, your hands are getting drity, until they look like breadcrumbs. Add sugar.
- Mix water in 1 tablespoon at a time. Use a cookie sheet, if there’s no clean table top to work on, and sprinkle some flour on it and your roliing pin or cup. Sometimes the old methods are the best. Put dough on floured table top/cookie sheet and roll it out.
- Cut dough into circles with a cookie cutter or cup. Now grab you cupcake pan and lay the baking cups within the pan. Once prepared, gather the edges and press the pastry into place so that it fits.
- Pop them in the oven for 15 minutes. Once the come out, place them in the fridge to cool.
Time to get started on the whip cream.
- 2 cups cold heavy cream
- 2 tblsp sugar
- 2 tblsp vanilla extract
Whip the heavy cream in a large bowl with a whisk or with an electric mixer. When it starts to thicken, add the sugar and vanilla and continue to whip until it forms stiff peaks.
Finally, wash 10 strawberries (this little pastry tart goes well with many other berries too) and cut into slices. Take out pastry, fill pastry in the center with the whip cream and top with strawberries, then sift powdered sugar on top and finito! Sta cotta.
And here is how it should look like:
Delicious right! Hope you enjoy.
Lots of love bites,
Izzy G.H.A.B.W (gothicheartsandbatwings) ^,.,^